The Root of all Evil - Stereotyping
- With all due and well-deserved respect to those whose
lives have been ruined or ended by prejudice:
i fail to see the bottom-line difference between:
- Blacks have good rhythm and love chicken and watermelon.
- Men are logical/rude/disempower women/love sports.
- Asians are intelligent and inscrutable.
- Men are right-brained, women are left-brained
( ... or is it the other way around? ).
- Gays make great interior decorators and hairdressers.
- Women are naturally compassionate and social.
- Everything bad that happens to women is due to male opression.
- To me all statements like this are unacceptable.
Even when they don't lead to slavery, pogroms, wars,
they are at the least unfeeling and rude.
I don't see what good they ever lead to.
"There are no lines between the colors in a rainbow.
But we need to parse the rainbow to describe it:
'Red / orange / yellow / green.'"
-- Leonard George, "The Teachings of Iamblichus: Between Eros and Anteros", Lapis, Issue 13, Spring 2001.
- Categories can be useful for thinking about things, as long as
we don't confuse the category with the reality,
the stereotype with the individual.
I guess it's like any tool: if you make it your only tool,
or misuse it ... well ... i guess that's just what all humans do.